With more than 22,000 employees working over 242 locations, we strive to be a great place to work for everyone. In addition to a competitive salary, you’ll automatically be enrolled in into our Group Pension Plan and have the opportunity to join our Share plans. You’ll enjoy a generous annual leave entitlement of 34 days (inclusive of public holidays), with the option to buy up to 10 extra days. Each employee is also entitled to one day paid volunteering, allowing you to dedicate your time, skills and expertise to your local community or a charitable cause as part of our “Be the Difference” scheme.
As Business Development Manager – Heat and Cooling Networks, you’ll be reporting into the Lead Project Development Manager within our SSE Enterprise Utilities business. You’ll engage with the market, identify opportunities, manage client relationships and lead bid and development teams to secure long term concession agreements to own and operate heat and cooling networks across the UK.
You’ll focus on prospecting and acting as the main client interface, leading the initial stages of a deal. You’ll manage supporting teams to ensure that bids are delivered on time and all positions taken during negotiation are signed off by the business.
You’ll have responsibility for achieving internal approvals in line with SSE and business governance processes, and develop a wide network of client and other stakeholder relationships as well as delivering a sales target of completed contracts per year
- Identify new opportunities for heat/cooling networks contracts
- Manage a wide client and other key stakeholders network
- Bring client and market intelligence to all bids in this sector
- Direct responsibility for ensuring major or complex bids successfully transition from initial bid to con-tract signature stage.
- Manage the client relationship throughout the bid and negotiation process ensuring that client’s requirements and drivers are reflected in SSE’s bids.
- Manage the outputs of supporting roles to provide high quality bids and approved negotiating positions
- Drive a lessons learned culture across bids
- Ensure clear briefing for senior managers within Enterprise Utilities and ongoing “sponsorship” at that level for projects under the individual’s control
- Work closely with the operations and delivery teams to ensure projects can be effectively procured, delivered and operated
Your Skills and Experience
- Proven experience in securing business in the heat/cooling sector
- Wide network of existing contacts in the sector at all levels within organisations
- Proven experience in managing large complex bids with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent understanding of EU and UK policy frameworks as they apply to energy, carbon and construction
- Solid commercial acumen to identify commercial opportunity (and risk) associated
- Excellent relationship builder – respected both internally and externally
- Proven ability to communicate and influence across a range of stakeholder groups and levels of seniority
- Ensuring relationships are maximised and intelligence from them brought into the bid and negotiation phases
- Broad understanding of engineering systems and performance of assets in a heat network and energy centre
- Understanding of a range of commercial structures as they apply to distributed energy
- Understanding of financing opportunities for schemes in the sector (specialist internal resource will be available to support any third party finance solutions)
Personal Attribute /Competencies:
- Credible – your word carries weight and inspires confidence in others
- Passionate, committed and inspiring
- Ability to manage an internal virtual team Inquisitive and able to challenge convention
- Ability to build relationships at all levels
- Team player and inspiring team ethic around you
- Excellent communication skills in all forms
- Strong commercial intuition – makes good commercial decisions naturally
- Proven experience in a similar role, managing complex bids
Salary and Benefits
- £36,500 – £55,000 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance (typically around £3500) + annual bonus (up to 10%).
- There is not commission or OTE associated with this role.
- Car Allowance
- 37 hours per week, flexible working patterns available
- Telephone interview with the HM, to go through the role
- F2F interview with the hiring team, all competency-based.
Location: Reading officeApply now >