The post holder is expected to support the Head of the Programme in developing and implementing strategic management plans and managing the programme interface with internal and external stakeholders. The post holder will be responsible for the coordination of input from a range of colleagues within the programme and HMRC stakeholders.
This is a key role, contributing to the overall delivery of the programme and you will play a central role in ensuring that the management and controls that need to be put in place are of the quality, efficiency and robustness that this programme demands and that the many stakeholders have the necessary confidence.
- Develop, maintain and document a high level strategic plan, for differing tailored audiences to support decision making at programme level;
- Provide a lead on the strategic planning for the programme using traditional methodologies and Agile;
- Develop and assure planning standards, processes and templates for projects within the Programme;
- Develop, support and maintain detailed and highly structured plans (including phase/stage planning and critical path analysis) to control the individual projects within the Programme;
- Capture key risks and dependencies in the planning schedules to reflect into programme controls and reporting;
- Provide detailed reporting on progress;
- Produce and maintain documentation and guidance on planning best practice at project and programme level;
- Landscape scan and provide planning futures controls projecting ahead for potential impacts, recommending detailed contingency actions to the senior team;
- Lead on regular planning review and development sessions;
- Act as programme coach and adviser on planning.
- Create integrated programme delivery plan, incorporating work stream and 3rd party plans
- Create the plan change control process
- Quality Assure plan submissions by work streams to ensure they comply with Programme standards and reporting requirements
- Produce planning governance reports for Milestones, High Level plan, Dependencies and other reports as required
- Define accountabilities and responsibilities around plan maintenance and reporting to ensure PMO and management team are provided with transparency and accuracy around status and deliverables and risks to delivery
- Extensive experience of putting together project and programme plans at a strategic level, particularly when there is ambiguity and complex dependencies
- Takes ownership of the plan – takes initiative to ensure it ‘works’, seeks to resolve conflicts or constraints and understand dependencies
- Able to articulate how the plan fits together and summarise the critical path and flow through the plan
- Experience of translating skills into different environments and responding to different situations
- Enabling leadership style – coach and mentor rather than direct
- Able to step back and guide rather than do it all yourself.
- Getting up to speed with a wide range of projects – technical, business driven digital capabilities, service delivery, business change
- Understanding different dynamics on diverse types of project and how they interact
- Being able to ask intelligent questions & challenge constructively
- Able to work in a fast paced environment with competing demands on time
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills both one and one and in a group
- Building trust by demonstrating understanding of different projects, their priorities and challenges