Evodia is looking to source for its Government Client an Operational Researcher.
The role has been assessed as inside the scope of IR35.
Purpose Dstl’s Policy Analysis Team uses analysis and evidence to help the Ministry of Defence shape the development of UK national security policy and strategy across Government, and to identify how Defence capabilities and international partnerships could be used to achieve the Government’s national security, and wider objectives. Policy Analysis requires a multi-disciplinary approach, drawing on qualitative and quantitative knowledge, skills and tools from Operational Research, Humanities and the Political and Social Sciences. The team uses a broad range of skills, including but not limited to problem structuring, wargaming, structured interviews, scenario-based analysis, systems thinking, multi-criteria decision analysis, morphological analysis, literature reviews, historical analysis, data analytics and spreadsheet modelling.
Senior Policy Analysts lead 2 – 5 person project teams, engaging directly with senior military and civilian policy makers (Colonel/Civil Service Grade 6 through Brigadier/Senior Civil Service) to deliver evidence-based support to their decision-making. The nature of our work involves working across Dstl and with partners in academia, industry, other parts of MOD and other Government Departments.
You will provide analytical advice to customers and stakeholders within the MOD and Wider Government. You will be responsible for building strong relationships across Dstl, with our wider government partners, suppliers and customers, to understand, shape and develop their requirements and identify linkages to ensure the maximum exploitation of work.
This will require regular liaison with customers and stakeholders, keeping them informed of progress throughout the project life. You will be expected to provide technical leadership for your work, where you will be responsible for the high quality production and delivery of relevant outputs (such as presentations and reports). You will not have any line management responsibility, but you will be expected to develop and mentor members of staff working with you on your projects.
- Lead teams to develop and deliver high impact analytical support to the MOD and Other Government Departments (OGDs) to address defence & security issues.
- Provide timely, objective, high-quality evidence-based advice to customers to enable them to make informed decisions.
- Present analysis in writing and face to face to military and civilian stakeholders
- Communicate upwards to Project Managers, Technical Authorities and Reviewers on progress, risks and issues.
- Maintain strategic awareness of customers’ challenges and identify new opportunities to improve the evidence used to support decision-making
- Provide technical leadership, direction and feedback to study team members.
- Provide technical advice and direction to industrial, academic partners and suppliers, as required
Technical /Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Strong personal Qualitative or Quantitative analysis skills.
- Good awareness of a range of both Qualitative and Quantitative techniques.
- A strong understanding of evidence-based policy making.
- Ability to plan, design and implement analytical studies to meet the needs of our customers.
- Strong communications skills, including high impact writing and presentation delivery. Domain Knowledge Essential
- Broad awareness of Defence and the role of the MOD and armed forces in UK National Security.
Desirable Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas (Nice to Have):
- Nuclear and conventional deterrence.
- Defence Diplomacy / Defence Engagement.
- Hybrid Warfare.
- Defence Policy and Strategy.
- Defence Contingency Planning.
- Future threats. It would also be desirable, but not essential, for you to have a knowledge of the role of Dstl and its ways of working.
- Experience of leading analytical study teams delivering impartial and evidence based advice to Customers. History of managing and conducting own technical project work.
- Track record of writing technical reports to a high standard.
Desirable (Nice to Have):
- Providing analytical support to MOD policy/strategy development.
- Working within the Dstl analytical community.
- Working with military and civilian personnel in MOD up to 1-Star / Senior Civil Service
A Master’s Degree or equivalent professional experience in a relevant area e.g. International Relations, Geography, Defence Studies, History, Politics, Operational Analysis, Systems Thinking.
The posts will be office based at Dstl Portsdown West near Fareham in Hampshire.
The role requires frequent (weekly) travel to the Ministry of Defence in London, and occasional travel to the Front Line Commands in Portsmouth, Andover, High Wycombe and Northwood. There may be some opportunities for wider UK and overseas travel.
Essential Security Clearance (SC) Desirable Developed Vetting (DV)
Evodia is acting as an Employment Business for this opportunity.Apply now >